My New Year’s resolution is a bit different than usual!
Studies show that setting goals is great! But what can be more effective is changing the systems and habits we have to accomplish our goal.
According to James Clear, (https://jamesclear.com/) creating a better system starts with small changes, and ultimately, with enough small changes that are consistent everyday, you will likely start to see yourself achieve your goals over a long period of time.
Here are 5 ways to optimize systems in your life:
1) Plan ahead for the new habit! For example, if you want to begin getting up earlier, habits such as laying your clothes out and getting your tea ready the night before will help put you in the mindset.
2) Start small! Instead of going to the gym everyday for 1 hour, start with going to the gym 3-5x a week for 20 minutes! If you start smaller, you will create certainty that you will eventually achieve a goal within a given week. You might find yourself staying at the gym longer just because you showed up.
3) Purge! To shift a habit into an actionable item, start by getting rid of distractions. If you want to cut down on carbs, get rid of all of the carbs at your house. If you want to workout more, clear your schedule.
4) Record your progress. It is incredible to look back on your week and measure the progress you’ve made. Keep a journal or calendar that marks your progress!
5) Have a little grace. This is maybe the most important. If you are trying to shift your habits and you end up faltering, simply review your plan again and start over, figure out what is working and what needs some adjustment. Go easy on yourself.